Helpful Guide for Choosing a POCKET POWER JUMP STARTER! Recommendations & Tips! Updated Mar. 2018
The most convenient way to jump start a car that I have come across is a product called a Pocket Power Jump Starter or Mini Jump Starter!
My first reaction was “this is too good to be true!” How could a product not much larger than a smartphone jump start an automobile engine?
As a teenager I used to work on my own car and I understood that it takes several hundred amps to crank a car engine. That’s why the cranking battery, usually located under the hood, weighs 30 or 40 pounds. It has to be that large to store that much electrical energy – or so I thought!
Pocket Power Jump Starters use Latest Battery Technology
With cutting-edge Lithium-ion battery technology its now possible to store enough electrical power in a pocket-size product that will jump start a car or truck – multiple times.
Of course, it doesn’t have the capacity to operate the other electrical systems found in most vehicles, such as air conditioning and headlights.
A Pocket Power Jump Starter is an Automotive Safety Product!
I believe the Pocket Power Jump Starter is one of the most beneficial automotive safety products that has come along in years! To have the ability to Jump Start your vehicle with a compact light-weight pocket-size portable product has some very significant implications!
Being at the mercy of a “sympathetic” motorist who may or may not happen to have a set of jumper cables available to get your vehicle jump started can be a potentially dangerous situation. With a Pocket Power Jump Starter a vulnerable person can easily and confidently jump start their car without having to wait or depend on anyone else.
Anyone can Jump Start a car with a Pocket Power Jump Starter!
You don’t have to be a motor-head car junkie like I was or an auto mechanic to jump start your car safely and quickly. If you can drive a car you can jump start it also.
The newest generation of pocket power jump starters, like the NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter, have built-in safety features that make it impossible to make a mistake.
WATCH: How to Jump Start your Car with a Mini Pocket Power Jump Starter
Having the ability to jump start your vehicle anytime, anywhere is comforting. But what about if you’re late for work and you forgot to charge up your laptop, notebook, or smartphone? You could use your car’s 12V system to charge them if your commute is long enough to get the job done.
But suppose you have a meeting and you need your Laptop first thing when you get to work?
A Pocket Power Jump Starter can handle those jobs easily! You can grab a charge while on your way – or you can charge your device while your using it at work.
What Exactly is a Pocket Power Jump Starter?
A Pocket Power Jump Starter is an Electrical Storage Device or a rechargeable battery, usually weighing approx. a pound and is a bit larger than a typical Smart phone.
It utilizes rechargeable Lithium-ion Batteries and the latest electronic Technology to safely store electrical power.
It incorporates circuitry to deliver the stored electricity at Powerful High Voltage/Amps for starting vehicles. Or it can deliver Low Voltage/Amps for charging or running small electronic devices such as Laptops, Tablets, Smartphones, etc.
Pocket Power Jump Starters like the ones I have researched and recommend BELOW come as kits containing the Power Pack, cables, adapters, and case.
- Peace of mind of not having to depend on a stranger to jump start your vehicle in an emergency
- The time saved of not having to wait on someone
- Ability to charge your laptop or smart phone while away from home or a vehicle
Statistically it’s just a matter of time before you are going to need a Jump Start for your car. I try and maintain my vehicles in top condition but a battery that has reached the end of its useful life or a bad connection can easily sneak up on you when you least expect it.
It happened to me just the other week. I was fortunate to be able to call someone to give me a jump, but it would have saved two people at least an hour if I had a Mini Pocket Jump Starter in my vehicle.
The best Pocket Jump Starters like the ones listed below will crank a vehicle multiple times on a single charge.
If you’re an Off-the-Grid kind person a Pocket Jump Starter is a smart and inexpensive way to manage your low voltage low amp electronic devices.
A person who travels overseas quite a bit would find a Pocket Power Jump Starter indispensable.
Outdoors men/women who venture into remote areas such as when you go camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, kayaking, rafting, etc. might find a Pocket Power Jump Starter could turn out to be invaluable!
If you are a boater like I am a dead battery can mean hours of waiting for a tow or a jump and may cost $75 to a couple hundred dollars. A $70 to $150 Pocket Jump Starter would pay for itself with just one emergency. Even a set of good quality Jumper Cables can cost $40 and you still need another vehicle to get you started
Some Mini Car Battery Jump Starters even have an Air Compressor Feature to inflate a flat tire. See Listings Below
Having the ability to help someone else who is stranded without having to park my vehicle in a dangerous spot is another reason I feel good about having my pocket jump starter with me.
Tips for Buying and Using a Pocket Power Jump Starter!
- The main thing to consider is the type of vehicle you will be most likely to use it to start. It is important that your Pocket Jump Starter has sufficient “Cranking Amps” to easily start your engine.
- Check the Description of the Jump Starter you are considering to see the recommend Engine Displacement for that particular model. Its better to have more Cranking Amps than necessary and not need them than not enough. You never know when you will have the opportunity to help someone else who may have a larger engine. Most Pocket Mini Jump Starters put out 200 to 400 Cranking Amps which will start most vehicles. If your vehicle has a V-8 you should go with 600 Cranking Amps. Some Pocket Jump Starters are now available with 1000 Cranking Amps. Enough to start a gas engines up to 6 Liters and diesel engines up to 3 Liters.
- Read the User’s Manual or Instructions. I know it is tempting (especially for us guys) to charge it up and park it in the glove box. I highly recommend that you do a dress rehearsal while parked in your driveway. That way you will be familiar with wear your battery is located and how to connect your Pocket Jump Starter.
Below you will find my Pocket Power Jump Starter LIST of the units I have carefully Researched. Each one has a proven track record of reliability and high Customer Review Ratings.
Also SEE: Best 12V Air Compressors for Cars